Access to articles in regional publications that pertain to a wide range of North Carolina-related topics.

The Spirit of 66


Author(s):
Abstract:
Oak Ridge Institute, which was built in 1852, closed in 1862 because the entire student body volunteered for service in the Confederacy. On the eve of its reopening in 1866, fire destroyed the school's main building. The following morning, undaunted educators and students made the determination to carry on in a log building with no desks until reconstruction could start. Thus was born 'The Spirit of 66', giving name to a credo which has sparked the development of Oak Ridge Institute for the past 120 years.
Source:
Record #:
10614
Full Text: