Elizabeth City: Rich in Natural Beauty, Unsurpassed in Location, Unlimited in Resources, Manufacturing, Lumbering, Trucking and Fishing Center, 1915
"Elizabeth City: Rich in Natural Beauty, Unsurpassed In Location, Unlimited
in Reources, Manufacturing, Lumbering, Trucking and Fishing Center"
Away from the Atlantic, some thirty miles,
Made beautiful by the Creator, this city smiles,
Fenced from the billows, which rage in Storm,
Yet fanned by their breezes from eve until morn.
Its surrounding scenery and enchanting charms
Seem to greet the stranger with wide-open arms,
And bid him welcome, as a friend to dwell
Amidst their beauties, which with rapture swell.
The C. E. Weaver Series
CENTRAL PUBLISHING CO., Inc.
Elizabeth City, NORTH CAROLINA
THE METROPOLIS OF THE ALBEMARLE
ELIZABETH CITY is the metropolis of the entire Albemarle Section of North
Carolina, made so by its many and unlimited advantages, its surrounding
farms of fertile soil, its sounds and rivers, with an abundance of fish,
its adjacent forests of fine timber, its business enterprises of various
character, and a people noted for their hospitality.
Nature has indeed favored this spot. The city is located on the Pasquotank
River, its curving banks being rich in picturesque scenes of woodland
beauty, with fruit groves and flower gardens, adding here and there their
soft and be witching influences.
Elizabeth City has a population of twelve thousand, four times greater than
it was in 1890, and has flattering prospects of becoming the largest city
in the State within the next quarter of a century-and why not? It is only
sixteen miles from the mouth of the Pasquotank River, at Albemarle Sound,
with sufficient river frontage to meet the demands of several hundred
Albemarle Sound, with the exception of the Great Lakes, is the largest body
of fresh water in the United States, being fed by rivers like the
Pasquotank, Perquimans, Chowan and Roanoke.
The Pasquotank has a depth of from 24 to 30 feet, and the harbor is amply
protected from storm and rough water, so that vessels can safely load and
unload at all seasons of the year.
According to the Chamber of Commerce. "with the excellent daily train
service via the Norfolk Southern Railway and via the Suffolk and Carolina
Railway, with regular boat lines operating through the Lake Drummond and
Dismal Swamp Canal, with forty-three freight boats trading from m
Elizabeth City to the lower sound country of North Carolina, in addition
to regular passenger boat service from Elizabeth City to points as far
South as Hatteras, including Hyde, Tyrrell, Dare and Currituck Counties,
this section is favored with excellent transportation facilities by rail
and water and low rates. Since the re-opening of the Dismal Swamp Canal
the trade of the city has increased twenty-five per cent. with the opening
of the Standardized Inland Waterway, the business of this place should
increase fifty per cent. within fire years after the waterway is formally
opened." That statement was made months ago. A large part of the
intra-coastal waterway is now in use, and with Elizabeth City a point on
the inland water route connecting the great northern centers with points
as far South as Florida, great commercial progress in the future for the
metropolis of North Carolina is assured.
Its recent growth and progress impress all visitors, as well as the home
folks, for there are signs of enterprise and newness on every hand. The
water front crowded with warehouses and mills and docks, giving evidence
to the approaching traveler that it is a city keeping even pace with
modern times its development along the lines of trade and commerce.
Elizabeth City occupies a strategic position in Northeastern North
Carolina-a magnificent territory in its infancy as regards development.
Produce comes here from many counties, both to supply the local demand and
for shipment to the North and Vest.
The tributary section produces great quanities [quantities] of corn, potatoes, cotton, cabbage,
beans, beats, peas, peanuts, and berries of all kinds, grain of all the
small varities [varieties] to greater or less
extent, all the fruits of the temperate zone, and nearly everything else
that is grown in the nation.
Elizabeth City's lumber and woodworking mills give employment to more than
a thousand workmen
Elizabeth City offers and has first class banking facilities, an excellent
harbor, marine railways, many manufacturing plants, wholesale and retail
trade that a city twice its size might envy, one of the largest fish
markets in the youth, a splendid grape market, and one of the finest back
countries boasted of by a town in the entire country.
Water products handled from the city total hundreds of thousands of tons.
Varied soil types and their great range of possibilities make the farming g
industry one of the most attractive of the region.
Cotton and hosiery Trills here are paying handsome dividends.
All the public utilities - water, gas, electricity and sewerage-are of the
Located here are well established buggy, wagon, barrel and basket
factories, saw and planing [planning] mills,
box factories, brick yards, grain mills and various other manufactories.
There is inexhaustable [inexhaustible] raw
material to be had in the fields, forests and streams of the region.
The city has a progressive "city manager" plan of municipal government, a
capable and efficient police department, and a prize winning fire
department of modern equipment. There are two steamers, two horse-drawn
hose wagons, a hook and ladder truck, a combination motor
truck driven by 75-horse-power engines, and a sufficiency of hose.
The city is now building a municipal market of concrete, brick and
terra-cotta, and of fireproof construction, and when completed the latter
part of this year, will be one of the "show places" of the city.
It is designed with especial attention to sanitation. Display cases are to
be installed for domestic meats, game, poultry, fish, oysters, dairy and
farm proudcts [products], etc., and the fresh
foods will thus be attractively exhibited as well as kept in the best of
condition. The cold storage plant in the house will be a real feature. The
refrigerating machinery intended to be installed is of the very latest
patterns, economically the space it will occupy and very efficient in
operations. Freezing temperature will be maintained in the cold storage
rooms at all seasons.
The city can boast of one of the finest hospitals in the State. It is a
handsome stone and brick structure, recently built, and has the latest and
most modern equipment.
Elizabeth City is handsomely adorned by its public and business buildings,
elegant residences, churches and schools. The leading denominations are
represented and have substantial houses of worship. As regards schools,
the city can claim one of the best systems in the South. The Elizabeth
City high School is one of the half dozen schools in the state whose
students are credited by the Southern College Commission and are entitled
to enter any college in the jurisdiction of this commission without
Elizabeth City is the capital of Pasquotank County, famous history. It was
in this, county early in 1665 that the Grand Assembly of Albemarle the
first legislative body ill North Carolina, was organized. The meeting
place was on Little River, a few miles from the present site of Elizabeth
City, and the Daughters of the Revolution have erected a met upon this
spot. Tradition is responsible for the claim that the first court to be
constituted in the colony sat out of doors on tile banks of Flatty Creek
in this county. The famous Culpepper Rebellion, the first resistance to
Britain, was originated in this county.
In Perquimans County, adjoining Pasquotank the first permanent settlement
was made in North Carolina. The coast country of the State is the richest
in history of any section in the United States. Oil Ocracoke Island, with
which Elizabeth City does considerable trade by boat, the first white men
to set foot on the mainland of North America landed, to find tile place
not quite to their liking for a site for habitation. They passed oil into
the sounds, and established the lost colony of Roanoke Island.
Roanoke Island is about twelve miles long, and its greatest width is a
little over three miles.
At the north end are the remains, wall Outlined, of Fort Raleigh, with the
memorial stone which tells forever on its granite face the story of the
first settlement made by Englishmen on this continent, between the fort
and the shore of shining Roanoke Sound stands the tall flag, staff on
which are displayed on the 18th of each August the United States flag and
that of Queen Elizabeth in the golden days of Sir Walter Raleigh, that
prince of promoters of exploration and exploits.
Directly across from the old fort lies Nag's Head, and in plain view the
the Kill Devil Hills, near which are the fresh water lakes, fed by some
mysterious source, where it is claimed there was the inlet through which
in August, 1584, the first Englishmen made their way from the broad
Atlantic into the safety, of the sounds and thence to the Isle of
The old fort seems almost to speak of those great days of daring and of
doing, and yet with its wonderful silence it seems like hallowed ground,
for there civilization and christianity [Christianity] began together, the birth of Virginia
Dare and her baptism. These pioneer explorers of 1584 carried back to
England wonderful things; the ever friendly Indian chief Manteo and the
first Irish potatoes, turkeys, corn and tobacco, which have since come
into use the world over. They told of the grapes for on the island is the
largest vine of the Scuppernong grape in existence.
The fort, built by the last and largest of the colonies in 1587, speaks in
itself the story of the "lost colony." for when Governor John White sailed
away to England and left his colonists there, apparently well seated and
in charge of the next in command, they were left forever, to be seen no
more by Englishmen, for their fate has been a mystery for more than three
hundred years. The best thought and opinion as to their fate, that they
and the friendly Indians left the gland and went to the main land, where
all were massacred by other Indian tribes except perhaps a few women and
girls held in captivity. Out of this apparent failure of the colony grew
the stettlement [settlement] of Jamestown in
Virginia, in 1607, whose chief historians say its colonists were informed
by some Indians that there were white people a little to the southward.
Some persons believe that the Indians and whites from Roanoke Island went
to a point on the "banks," which is the local name for the barrier reef of
sand, near Kitty Hawk and the fresh water lakes, and there met their fate
at the hands of the cruel "'enemy Indians," who had already harassed them
The Indians themselves never lived on Roanoke Island, but only visited it
during fine weather, their canoes not being able to weather rough water.
The island was the Englishmen's choice, no doubt because it seemed so very
like their England itself in situation. For a number of years there was a
belief among many persons that the people known as the "Croatans," in
Robeson County, along the southern border of North Carolina, were the
survivors of the "lost colony" and ther [their]
Indian associates, amalgamated, but this belief is not now held and the
legislature has taken the latter view by changing the name of the Croatans
to the `Indians of Rebeson County."
At Ocracoke was the rendezvous of the famous Pirate Blackbeard, William
Teach, who while he was courting the last of his many wives at Bath kept a
lewd colony on the island, which he visited every week end. South of
Elizabeth City, on the -Norfolk Southern Railroad, is Edenton, an early
capital of North Carolina and one of the moss picturesque and interesting
places in the entire country. Bath, the first colonial capital, is some
sixty miles, roughly estimating, farther south.
In the days of the Indian wars, Pasquotank County sent aid to the citizens
of Bath against the warring redskins, who had perpetrated the massacre of
1712, sent militia to South Carolina to fight the Y amasses, and her
citizens fought the treacherous warriors whenever the occasion demanded,
whether at home or in any other part of the colony. The county sent her
whole quota of soldiers to the English and Spanish war, to the French and
English war, and during the Revolution, when North Carolina revolted
against British tyranny along with her twelve sister colonies, furnished
her hundred to rid the country of King George's agents and his military
forces. She had her full share of men in the war with Mexico. During the
war between the States Pasquotank County was loyal to the fullest extent
to the State, and had companies raised in-this part of North Carolina. Her
sons were at Bethel and at Appomattox, neither braver nor abler than those
of the rest of the South, but doing their duty and doing it well.
P. W. Melick COMPANY, Cam W. Melick, Mgr., 11 and 13 S. Water St.-Some of
Elizabeth City's business enterprises are splendid examples of success,
and none is more representative of the times than the great modem house of
P. W. Melick Company. This business has been established since 1871. A
stately three-story building is occupied at the above address and a number
of clerks are constantly employed in looking after the trade. The stock is
unsurpassed for its great extent, high quality, variety and general
excellence. It consists of school books and supplies, stationery, office
supplies, etc., all kinds of fancy goods, carpets, oil cloths, makings,
rugs, curtains, furniture, mattresses, stoves, lamps, crockery, glass
ware, cutlery, tin ware, toys, novelties, etc. The "best goods and lowest
prices” is the rule. The manager of the business is prominent in business
and social circles, and is keeping up the old time reputation of this
house for absolute reliability.
SPENCE & HOLLOWELL CO., Commission Merchants and Manufacturers' Agents,
Dealers in Fertilizers, Seeds and Country Produce and All Binds of Farm
Implements, No. 18 Water St., Office, No. 191. -This business has been
established since the spring of 1911, and has been a decided success. The
officers of the company are Messrs. C. W. Hollowell president and
secretary, and J. C. Spence, vice-president and treasurer. Both are well
known business men of Elizabeth City and -natives of this community, and
enjoy high standing in business and social circles. Aside from their own
affairs, they do all they can for the best interests of the city. The
house is in every way one of the most important identified with this line
of trade here, and the annual business transacted reaches a large volume.
THE CAROLINA' HOTEL. -This hotel is centrally located at the corner of
Water and Matthews Sts., and has been under the present proprietorship and
management of Mr. J. E. Lane for the past two years, and since taking
charge of the business the universal verdict has been that this gentleman
knows well "how to keep a hotel." But, then, he is ably assisted by his
good wife, who is a lady of excellent judgment and talented in the art of
homekeeping. The aim and pleasure of Mr. and Ms. Lane is to make the
Carolina Hotel homelike and attractive, and that they have succeeded in so
doing is evidenced in the success and prosperity of this now hospitable
place. The sleeping apartments are well furnished, light and airy, and the
hotel includes such modem improvements as electric lights, hot and cold
baths, etc. The table is well supplied with the beat that the market
affords and the rates are moat reasonable, only $1.00 per day.
NEW RESTAURANT-THE CITY CAFÉ- Located at Harris' old stand, 112 Poindexter
St.-Mr. Roy S. Goodwin is the proprietor of this business, and under the
present ownership has been conducted since May 1, 1915. Mr. Goodwin is a
young man and a native of this city, and is managing this business with
success. This cafe is well fitted up for the handling of its trade. Orders
are served at all hours, and besides all kinds of good things to eat,
including meals and lunches, there is sewed here all of the popular brands
of cold drinks, ice cream, cigars, cigarettes, etc. The prices are very
MORRISETTE & PERRY, Dealers in Staple and Fancy Groceries, Dean's old
stand, Poindexter Street, phone 820.-The business was organized about a
year and a half ago, and has been a growing success from the very first
day down to the present time. The members of the firm are Messrs. Herbert
Morrisette and J. Claud Perry. Mr. Morrisette
is in charge of the management of the affairs and is a gentleman of large
experience in handling groceries. He is personally popular and well liked
by the general public. It is nothing short of genuine satisfaction to make
purchases at this store. It is clean, attractive and inviting, and fully
stocked throughout with high grade things to eat.
C. A. Cooke. -This gentleman is a dealer in high grade clothing, men's and
boys' furnishings, made-to-measure clothing being a specialty. The store
is located at 114 N. Poindexter St., and while this is comparatively a new
enterprise in Elizabeth City, Mr. Cooks is not new to the business by any
means. He has been established for twenty-two years, located in Windsor,
N. C., and moved to Elizabeth City early in January, 1915. Mr. Cooke is,
therefore, a welt known merchant for many miles in all directions. His
trade in this city is fast growing and is derived from the best classes.
The store is large and well stocked with all kinds of wearing apparel for
men and boys, and visitors to the city are invited to make this stare
their headquarters. Mr. Cooke enjoys a reputation second to none in the
trade, and is absolutely reliable in all his dealings. His twenty-two
years of actual experience has made him thoroughly conversant with all
A. C. STOKES & SONS, Sale and Livery Stables, No. 308 Matthews St.-This is
the oldest concern identified with this line of trade in the city, having
been established in 1893. Mr. A. C. Stokes is at the head of the business,
and is a gentleman of rare talent and ability in the trade. He is indeed
recorded as a leading expert judge of horses and mules, and has been very
successful in all his dealings. He never misrepresents, but handles stock
and sells name according to the true merits of each animal, and therefore
his name today stands above reproach and an honor to the trade. Mr. Stokes
is known throughout this and adjoining counties for many miles in all
directions, and has many friends and patrons.
THE ELIZABETH CITY BUGGY COMPANY, Manufacturers of Fine Buggies and
Phaetons. American Wire Fencing a Specialty. 400-402-404 Matthews St. Lock
Box 272.-This enterprise constitutes a leading feature of the
manufacturing interests of the city. The plant has been established in
successful operation since in January, 1899. A number of people are
constantly employed in the various departments. Not only are they
extensive manufacturers, but also large dealers in vehicles of other
makes, and have quite a spacious show room. The plant is large and
perfectly equipped. The officers of the company are Messrs. J. R. A. Wood,
president and treasurer; W. P. Wood, vice-president, and R. T. Venters,
secretary. The business is founded and conducted upon a basis of general
usefulness to the public, and the gentlemen at the head of affairs are all
well known citizens and deeply interested in the prosperity of Elizabeth
Elizabeth City Hosiery Co.
W. S. WHITE & COMPANY.-Among the leading dealers in Feed, Seed and
Electrical Supplies, Flash Lights and Columbia Batteries, all kinds of
grain, such as corn, oats and peas, truck farm and garden seeds and mills
products, such as corn meal, hominy, crushed corn mixed feed, bran and
shipstuff [ship stuff]. The location is at
120-122.Poindexter St., with phone 64. A number are constantly employed
looking after the interests of the trade. Several big buildings are
occupied. The store building at the above address is 40 by 80 feet in
dimensions, two stories high, and the warehouse consists of a big
two-story building, 30 by 80 feet in dimensions, located on Water St.,
running back to the wharf in the rear. They also do quite a large business
in the line of electrical contracting. The proprietors of this business
are Messrs. W. S. White and Darius White. Their house is in every way
entitled to the full confidence of the trade. It has been established for
the past twelve years.
D. R. MORGAN, COMPANY, Wholesale and Retail Fancy Groceries, Phones 256 and
396. -This is unquestionably one of the most popular enterprises of its
kind in the city. The business has been established for about five years,
and operated under the present firm name for two years; and during the
time that has elapsed it has made rapid strides. The active officers of
the company are D. R. Morgan, president and treasurer, and M. B. Morgan,
secretary. An immense trade is enjoyed and several wagons are used in
making deliveries, while the two phone numbers used by this company are
among the busiest on the exchange. This flan has succeeded in establishing
s reputation of the highest kind, and receives its patronage from the best
classes of trade throughout the city. The proprietors are widely known
popular citizens, and do all they can for the general welfare of the
community. In the selection of this store as your headquarters for
groceries you make no mistake.
ELIZABETH CITY IRON WORKS AND SUPPLY COMAPNY. -It is with unusual pleasure
that we make favorable notice of this big enterprise, in view of the fact
that it is one of the largest and most important industries of Elizabeth
City. The business has been established for six years, and employment is
given to an average force of some forty people, while daring busy periods
as many as seventy-five workmen are employed. This plant is a very modern
affair and admirably equipped with all the necessary appurtenances known
to the industry. The products are of high grade, and the plant is under
able management. The plant is located at the corner of Pear and Water Sts.
They are manufacturers and repairers of machinery and handle supplies for
mills, steam boats, motor boats, automobiles, plumbers and steam fitters,
and plumbing fixtures of all kinds. This is an incorporated concern, and
the officers include Messrs. J. F. Sanders, president; Brad Sanders,
vice-president and general manager; Andrew Sanders, treasurer, and H. W.
ELIZABETH CITY HOSIERY COMPANY Manufacturers of Avalon Hosiery. Among the
industrial enterprises of Elizabeth City that of the Elizabeth City
Hosiery Company constitutes a feature of conspicuous leadership. The
business was established in 1902, and has been operated with decided
success from the beginning down to the present time. The plant consists of
an immence [immense] building, giving
employment to an average force of 300 people, the capacity being two
thousand dozen hose daily. The products are shipped to all parts of the
-United -States. They find a ready sale and are in great demand because of
high quality. The officers of this corporation are Messrs. D. B. Bradford,
president; J. A. Kramer, rice-president; P. H. Williams,
secretary-treasurer, and Geo. E. Seyffort, superintendent.
J. B.CARTWRIGHT. -This gentleman has been established in business for the
past twenty years, and is one of the city's mast popular merchants. He is
operating what is known as The Popular Price Store, located at 118 N.
Poindexter St., and the stock has been well selected with special regards
as to its high quality and reasonable prices. The stock includes shoes,
hats, gents' furnishing goods and traveling bags. There is no doubt of the
fact but that the prices are "lower than the lowest.”. Mr. Cartwright is
popular and known to be absolutely reliable in all of his dealings, and it
is nothing short of genuine pleasure to trade with him.
BANKS & HUGHES, Wholesale Grocers.-This business was established about four
years ago, and the trade has continued to increase, especially throughout
the local community, as the firm makes a point of handling the city trade.
The firm is always on the job to fill all orders promptly, whether they be
large or small, and at any hour during the day, should any of the local
merchants run short of some article, this firm is ready and willing at a
moment's notice to fill rush orders. It is only necessary to call phone
68, and from reliable sources we learn that this is one of the busiest
numbers on the telephone exchange. This house is located at 7 and 9 N.
Water St. The proprietors are Messrs. H. E. Banks and J. P. Hughes, men of
complete experience pertaining to their business.
COHOON & JACKSON, Slate and Tin Roofing, Guttering and Spouting Cornice
Work, Sky Lights and Stove Work.-The location of this shop is at the foot
of Fearing St., and the proprietors are Messrs. E. J. Cohoon and C. L.
Jackson. These gentlemen are both active men, full of enterprise and
ambitious to lead in the trade. They have a large practical experience,
personally look after the management of their business, and their
patronage is steadily increasing. They are prepared to execute contracts
of any magnitude and have all the necessary facilities and ample capital
required. Only the best of materials are used and experienced workmen are
employed. Estimates cheerfully furnished.
Elizabeth City Iron Works and Supply Co.
SAVINGS BANK AND TRUST COMPANY.-Important to every community are its
banking houses, and Elizabeth City can well be proud of its institutions
of this character. The Savings Bank & Trust Company is a prominent factor
in the city's wealth and progress, and the history of this institution has
been one of decided success. It operates a general banking and trust
business in all its many departments, negotiates loans, also handles real
estate and pays 4 per cent. interest on Savings Accounts. The bank shows a
substantial record of growth, the deposits in June. 1909, being less than
$200,000.00 and in June, 1915, being $400,000,00. The total resources,
according to June, 1, 1915, amounted to $469,523,19. This bank occupies
handsomely fitted up quarters, and is in every way prepared to handle all
transactions with thoroughness and promptness, giving careful attention to
details. The officers are Messrs. P. H. Williams, president; E. F.
Aydlett, vice-president: H. G. Kramer, cashier, and W. H. Jennings,
assistant cashier. Directors: E. F. Aydlett, L. S. Blades, J. W. Foreman,
C. E. Kramer, J. T. McCabe, C. O. Robinson, A. Sawyer, J. H. White, A. M.
Willey, P. H. Williams. J. Q. A. Wood and W. J. Woodley.
G. M. HUGHES, Fancy Groceries and Fresh Meats. -Mr. G. M. Hughes, the
proprietor of this business, is located at 601 Southern Avenue. He has
been established in business for some ten years. He has built up one of
the most important businesses of this character in this part of the city.
Mr. Hughes strives hard to please and satisfy each and every customer, and
it is nothing short of genuine delight to make purchases at his store. Mr.
Hughes carries a choice line of goons, including all kinds of groceries
anti produce, poultry and fresh meats. The prices are reasonable.
On Pasquotank River at Elizabeth City.
WALKER & COMPANY, High Art Milliners.-This firm has been established for
the past ten years and has long been regarded as one of the leaders in the
trade, and especially as regards low prices. The stock carried is large.
It consists of a great variety of high class and fashionable millinery-
purchased from the leading sources of production Mrs. M. F. Walker is
proprietress and keeps fully abreast of the times in her operations She is
located at 115 N. Poindextor St. A very large business is transacted, and
during the busy spring and fall seasons employment is given to six
milliners and salesladies. Mrs. Walker does all she can to give
satisfaction to the trade, and a visit to her store is well worth the time
ELIZABETH CITY ELECTRIC SHOE AND HARNESS REPAIR COMPANY. -This shop is to
be found at No. 14 Poindexter St. It is equipped with machinery of all
kinds required for this special branch-of industry, and is run by
electricity. It is unquestionably one of the busiest shops of its kind in
the city, and to have work done here is a guarantee of honest work and
complete satisfaction. The company uses the best of materials only and
employs skilled and experienced workmen. Mr. C. E. Benton is the
proprietor, and is a native of this city. He is operating his business
with fine success and the trade is growing.
N. G.GRANDY & COMPANY.-This firm operates an extensive business as dealers
in all kinds of high grade cotton, flour, grain, hay, fertilizers, eggs,
peas, potatoes and produce. The firm has very extensive facilities and
conducts a business on quite a huge scale. The location of the enterprise
is at the foot of Matthews Street on the wharf and the office lens phone
connection 15. This business has been established for twenty years and is
a decided success. It is one of the leading enter- of this character in
Elizabeth City. The members of the firm are Mr. N. G. Grande and his son,
Taylor Grande, both well known and who all they can for the good of the
THOMAS CRANK & SON, Dealers in Fish, Oysters, Terrapin, etc -This firm is
located at 118 S. Poindexter Street, having market phone 204 and residence
24. The members of the firm are Messrs. Thomas Crank and his son Thomas
Crank Jr., who have been established in the business for at least nineteen
years, and no firm has succeeded better in giving satisfaction to the
trade. The senior Mr. Crank has been in the fish business for thirty
years. These gentlemen are unusually careful in the purchase if their
products and handle strictly pure, wholesome and fresh fish, oysters,
terrapin, etc. in season. All orders promptly filled and delivered, and at
most favorable prices. These gentlemen are natives of Dare County.
E. S. WILLEY-MARINE RAILWAY AND SHIP YARD. -There is nothing that helps to
build up a city more than first class industrial enterprises, and in this
connection we desire to call the attention of our readers to the above
concern which enjoys the distinction of being the largest enterprise of
its kind in this part of the State, and it has been very valuable in
helping to advance the commercial, manufacturing and slip building
interests of Elizabeth City. The plant is equipped with a cradle of 185
feet depth, and the plant has unusual facilities for rebuilding,
remodeling and repairing all kinds of boat and ship work. The very best
materials are kept in stock and all work is executed with neatness and
dispatch. The plant is admirably located on Riverside Avenue, and presents
a busy scene at all times. a number of people are constantly employed. Mr.
Willey is a native of Maryland and has been established in business in
Elizabeth City since 1891.
G. S. WHITE, Grocer.-This gentleman is a dealer in all kinds of staple and
fancy groceries, fruits, vegetables and melons in season, poultry, eggs,
butter, canned goods, notions and other articles usually found in a store
of this kind. Mr. G. S. White, the proprietor, commenced this business
about four years ago, and has met with good success. He deals in high
class goods and sells at reasonable prices, and quite a large trade is
enjoyed. This store is located at 618 1-2 Parsonage Street, and Mr. White
invites you to become one of his permanent customers. Satisfaction
A. B. Seeley & Son.
A. B. SEELEY & SON, Wholesale Fruits, Produce and Fancy Groceries, No. 506
Main St., and No. 7 Water Street, phone 59.- This enterprise came into
existence in the year of 1893, and now for a period of more than
twenty-two years has been a conspicuous leader in handling this Particular
line of goods in Northeastern North Carolina. The traveling
representatives of the house cover all the wholesale territory which
naturally belongs to Elizabeth City. The business is strictly wholesale,
and has been exclusively owned by Mr. J. S. Seeley for ice past five
years. Dealers find that this establishment offers attractive and
seasonable goods at fair market rates, and the house is regarded as
thoroughly reliable and enterprising and secures patronage by legitimate
methods and painstaking care. The house enjoys a reputation of the
highest. Mr. Seeley is a great booster of Elizabeth City, and does all he
can for the good of the community
GID PENDLETON, Dealer in Fancy Groceries, No. 8 S. Road St., phone No. 275.
- Mr. Pendleton is a native of this city, and quite a popular young
business man, having been established in his present business for about
five years. Mr. Pendleton is versed in the details of grocery trade, and
is extremely careful in the selection and purchasing of his stocks, which
consist of the choicest goods. Mr. Pendleton operates a popular store at
the above address, and has quite a number of regular patrons. He is
regarded as a gentleman of experience and ability, and is operating his
business on sound basis.
AUTO LAUNDRY & SERVICE STATION, A. W. Haskett, Mgr.-This is a comparatively
new business for Elizabeth City, and adds another feature of
up-to-lateness to this ever-growing, progressive and modern community. Mr.
Haskett started the business in June, 1310. His plant is located at the
corner of Road and Fearing Streets, where he has superior facilities for
washing and cleaning automobiles, and for keeping cars in perfect order
generally. He also specializes in the handling of gasoline and oil, and is
in the market to buy and handle second-hand cars. Mr. Haskett was born and
reared in this county, and is quite well known for many miles in every
direction. He is to be congratulated on supplying Elizabeth City with such
a complete enterprise of this character, and is worthy of the support of
the entire community.
M. Leigh Sheep Co.
M. LEIGH SHEEP COMPANY, The Woman's Wear Store.- Among the business nooses
of premier rank in this city a prominent place is held by the magnificent
store operated and conducted by Mr. M. Leigh Sheep. This store is handsome
throughout and is fitted up according to the most advanced ideas known to
the trade. It is a high class exclusive store, devoted to the sale of
ready-to-wear pools for women only. A very large and varied stock is
carried, representative of all that is seasonable and fashionable, and in
every sense of the word the house is an ornament to the city and a
distinct credit to the proprietor. Mr. Sheep is a marchant of large
experience with a keen appreciation of public expectation and demand and
devotes his closest personal attention to the management of affairs. This
store must be seen to be fully appreciated and all visitors, as well as
home folks, are welcome. The store is located in a fine building at the
corner of Main and Martin Streets, opposite the post office
MISS PERRY, Dealer in Fine and Exclusive Millinery.-It is a widely
recognized fact that hiss S. 3. Perry is regarded as being Elizabeth
City's acknowledged millinery leader, and in her beautifully appointed
parlors can be found all the latest high class and fashionable millinery
and novelties of the season. Any and everything that the millinery world
has to offer in-the fashionable centers of New York and other large cities
is to be found even in Elizabeth City at Miss Perry's exclusive
establishment. Here also is to be found a splendid staff of really
talented designers and trimmers who are artists in their individual lines
and who closely follow the latest styles all under the personal direction
of Miss Perry herself. Miss Perry is thoroughly versed in every detail of
the industry and has given to Elizabeth City an enterprise of which all
are proud. Miss Perry is greatly admired throughout this entire community,
is a lady of excellent standing and very popular. She conducts her
business in a manner as to attract and retain a very large share of the
most desirable trade.
City Road Methodist Church.
First National Bank.
CULPEPPER, GRIFFIN, OLD & GRICE COMPANY, General Insurance and Insurance
Bonds, Office No. 12 S. Poindexter St., phone 47. -Insurance has been
aptly termed "the hand maiden of commerce." and this truism-has become so
well and generally understood that no business man considers himself safe
in disregarding it. Of the vast amount of insurance that is in force
throughout Elizabeth City and vicinity, a very large proportion has been
placed by this company. This agency is old established, having been in
successful existence for some twenty-five years. It is also one of the
largest agencies of the State, and represents thirty--sir separate and
distinct fire insurance companies, besides several life and other
insurance corporations. The officers of the company are Messrs. C. W.
Grice, president; W. T. Old, vice-president; L. E. Old, secretary and
treasurer. Directors: L. S. Blades. P. H. Williams, W. G. Underwood, C. W.
Grice. D. B. Bradford. W. T. Old. L. E. Old, S. W. Gregory and W. G.
THE FIRST NATIONAL Bank.-Having been established since 1891, the record of
the First National Bank of Elizabeth City has developed a career of
success, which closely identifies it with the advancement of the city in
commerce and manufactures, a considerable portion of which is creditable
to the liberal assistance it has extended to the business community. It is
a member of the American Bankers' association, also a member of the
Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond. According to a statement of June 30,
7915, it has a capital of $100,000.00 surplus and profits $66,032.53.
Deposits, 1554,538.16. The total resources amount to nearly $900,000.00.
The officers are Chas. H. Robinson, president: Dr. L. S. Blades,
vice-president, and W. G. Gaither. Jr., cashier. Directors: Chas. H.
Robinson. E. R. Daniels. L. S. Blades, O. F. Gilbert, D. B. Bradford. L.
C. Blades. J. A. Kramer, E. F. Aydlett, P. H. Williams, C. O. Robinson and
S. H. Johnson. This bank occupies handsomely fitted up quarters in the
very heart of the city, and transacts a general banking business, 4 per
cent. interest paid on savings accounts, and, being a National bank,
government supervision is a prominent feature.
J. M. LeROY, Dealer in Fancy and Staple Groceries, Corner Main and Road
Streets.-This establishment may be said to be one of the model enterprises
of the kind in the city, and it is indeed a source of genuine pleasure to
make purchases at the store. Mr. LeRoy, who is highly regarded in business
circles, is among the wideawake [wide-awake]
and up-to-the-minute progressive merchants of Elizabeth City. He has been
established in business here for eight years, has made this city his home,
however, for fifteen years and is a native of Tyrrell County. It may also
be said that Mr. LeRoy is perhaps one of the best posted grocers of the
city, and deals only in goods of real merit, refusing absolutely to handle
any article adulterated in anyway, and, therefore, has succeeded in
winning the full confidence, not only of his own patrons, but of the
entire community. He is a great stickier for quality and absolute purity
and his store is clean and sanitary- and will bear the closest inspection
in this regard any moment in the day. Orders speedily delivered. Phone No.
Culpepper, Griffin, Old & Grice Co.
THE C. H. ROBINSON COMPANY, Wholesale Distributors of Dry Goods and
Notions, Nos. 10-12-14-16 Water St.-The story of the romance of big
business as regards Elizabeth City would indeed be incomplete did it not
contain favorable notice of this flourishing and growing enterprise. It is
one of the largest and moat solid business institutions of the city,
haring been established since the year 1877 and for a number of years
devoted exclusively to the dry goods trade, covering a large part of
Eastern North Carolina. A number of traveling men represent the house on
the road. Mr. C. H. Robinson the senior member of the firm, was the
founder of the business. He is one of the city's prominent men of affairs,
is president of the First –National, president of the Elizabeth City
Cotton mills and closely identified with other interests. His son Mr. C.
0. Robinson, has been a member of the firm for six years and is a
gentleman of business and social prominence. Mr. J. J. Hughes became a
member of the company in January 1915, but for about eight years has been
connected with the house as traveling representative. The influence of
this concern is being felt in the development of this city.
S. R. Siff Co., Inc.
S. R. SIFF COMPANY, Inc., Ready-to Wear Outfitters.-This is one of the
famous stores of Elizabeth City, and has been a prominent feature of the
commercial interests of this city for the past fifteen years. The present
company succeeded to Lavestein's about two years ago, and the members of
the corporation are Messrs. H. H. Lavenstein, president, and S. R. Siff,
secretary-treasurer and general manager. This store is prominently located
in the heart of the city, at the corner of Main and Poindexter Streets. It
is a magnificent three-story building, and presents a very inviting
appearance. The store is known and held in high regard by the best trade
throughout this part of North Carolina. This house is headquarters for all
kinds of ready-to wear goods for men, women and children, and constant
employment is given to a force of from fifteen to forty clerks, according
to the demands of the season. Mr. Siff, the general manager, is one of the
most widely known, active and progressive young business men of this city,
and has great faith in the future of this community. His house may be said
to stand in the front rank as a representative enterprise.
T. W. WILLIAMS, Dealer in Jobs and Sample Goods of All Binds, 216
Poindexter St.-It can truthfully be said that few merchants in this
section of North Carolina can boast of a longer or a larger experience in
the mercantile business than Mr. T. W. Williams, He has been closely
associated with the trade for upwards of forty years, and has been located
in Elizabeth City for fifteen years. Mr. Williams is known to the trade,
and his name is synonymous with all that is reliable and dependable. He
has an excellent assortment of dry goods, shoes and furnishings, and sells
at low prices.
LOUIS SELIG, Elizabeth City's Leading Jewelry, Established 1882, Corner
Main and Water Streets. Among the houses of which Elizabeth City feels
justly interested is that of Louis Selig, which has been in successful
existence for more than thirty years, and many years ago assumed
commercial prominence in its line. The house has long been regarded as a
leader in the high class jewelry trade in this section and it can
truthfully be said that no store in the entire South carries a fitter or
more costly stock. The facilities of this house for transacting business
are of a strictly firstclass [first-class]
character, and the proprietor gives his close personal attention to every
detail of the business, adopting in his dealings with the public reliable
methods, which have most favorably recommended the establishment to the
confidence of his steadily growing patronage. A number of skilled and
experienced jewelers are constantly employed. The fact that this house
holds the position of leadership in the jewelry trade of north-eastern
Carolina has long been established.
CRYSTAL ICE AND COAL COMPANY, Inc.-This is one of the leading enterprises
of Elizabeth City, and its influence has been greatly felt- m the
advancement of the business interests of this community. The plant is
located on Water Street, near the Norfolk Southern depot, and extends
through the block to the wharf in the rear. It is one of the largest ice
plants in eastern North Carolina, has a capacity of eighty tons daily,
made from pure distilled water. The plant is of modern brick construction
and is a model of convenience. In the conduct of the business more than
twenty people are employed. The company also operates a large business as
dealer in all kinds of high grade coal. Mr. W. T. Love is the president,
treasurer and general manager, and his son, Mr. D. M. Love, is secretary.
NEWBERN PRODUCE COMPANY, Inc., Wholesale Fruits and Produce-Car Lots a
Specialty. All Kinds of Country Produce Bought and Sold-Special Attention
Paid to Consigned Shipments. -This enterprise has been established since
December 1, 1914, and the trade is growing rapidly. On the 1st of October
of the present year the company will occupy the big new three-story and
basement Woodley Building, at the corner of Water and Burgess Streets. The
officers of this company are Messrs. W. T. Phillips, president; W. W.
Newborn, vice-president and general manager; W. R. \4attbL-ws, secretary.
These gentlemen are all well known in commercial and financial circles.
The business of this house is a great success, and the concern adds much
to the wholesale interests of the city.
LAMBERT BROTHERS, Dealers in Wood, Coal, Fence Posts, White and Red Cedar
Shingles. Phone 214. -This business has been established since 1911, and
the operations have been steadily increasing in volume. This firm is
prepared to execute all orders promptly and to furnish supplies at the
lowest market quotations. They have quite extensive yards and use a number
of wagons in the delivery service. Mr. E. J. Lambert is the general
manager of the business and is directing its affairs with success. The
other members of the firm are Mr. J. U. Lambert, superintendent of the
Norfolk-Carolina Telephone Company, and Mr. W. R. Lambert, vice-president
and general manager of The Highland Park Residential Company.
THE JACKSON MARBLE COMPANY- Wesley Williams is the manager of this business
and has been in active charge for the last three years. He employs
experienced and expert workmen, so that all work in the plant is executed
with artistic skill and to the entire satisfaction of the trade. There is
no doubt of the fact but that this is one of the leading marble plants in
the eastern part of North Carolina, and a very large business is done
throughout the State in the way of supplying monuments, grave stones,
markers and ornamental iron fence. The company has a wide range of
designs, from which most desirable selections may be made. Prices are
quoted upon application this plant is located at 203 N. Poindexter St. Mr.
Williams is a native of Norfolk County. Va., and has been connected with
the business interests of Elizabeth City for some twenty-five years.
F. H. ZIEGLER & SON, Funeral Directors and Embalmers, 204 S. Road Street,
phone 182.-Having been established in the year 1856, makes this enterprise
one of the oldest in this profession in the State and the oldest business
of any character in Elizabeth City. It was founded by the late J. H.
Ziegler, father of the present proprietor, who has been in active charge
of the business since the death of his father in 1889. The son, Mr. C. L.
Ziegler, is now and has been for a number of years a very able assistant
in the management of the affairs, and the name of the firm was recently
changed to F. H. Ziegler & Son. Both of these gentlemen, Messrs. F. H.
Ziegler and son. C. L. Ziegler, are graduate embalmers and thoroughly
experienced in the practice of every detail of the profession. They have
adopted the latest processes and thus far have accorded utmost
satisfaction to the public this firm is admirably equipped, and the
management keeps fully abreast of the times. The Ziegler family is one of
the most prominent in this section and enjoys the highest respect o all.
T. W. WILLIAMS, Jr.-This gentleman has been established in business for
himself for about eight years, and was formerly with his father, who is
one of the oldest and most respected merchants of Elizabeth City. Young
Mr. Williams has a very attractive store, located at the popular corner of
Poindexter and Burgess Streets. Here is carried a superior stock of all
kinds of foreign and domestic fruits and candies, tobaccos and cigars and
light lunches. Mr. Williams is personally popular with the trade, and is
making a fine success of his business. He invites all to make his place
their headquarters, and visitors to the city are accorded a hearty
DR. W. H. MORRIS, Veterinarian. -This gentleman is not only the leading
veterinarian in Elizabeth City, but may be said to be the leading
practitioner in Eastern North Carolina, while the "Veterinary Remedies"
which he has succeeded in perfecting for horses, mules, cattle, hogs and
chickens are sold and in large demand throughout the Southern States. Dr.
W. H. -Morris has had an experience of twenty-five years in the
profession, and because of his vast experience and knowledge which he has
gained by intimate association has made him an authority in all matters
pertaining to veterinary science. Dr. Morris is a member of the Mate
Veterinary Association, was one of the first to register and obtain a
license to practice in this State, and has been very successful. His
office is located at 106 Matthews St., and residence phone 18, all Weal
and long-distance calls being answered promptly. For further information
regarding his veterinary remedies you are invited to write Dr. Morris.
ALBEMARLE LAUNDRY, Larry Ennis Skinner, Proprietor. Phone 125. -This superb
laundry enjoys such an enormous business that of itself alone is an
evidence of the high civilization and advancement of this community. The
numerous employees are kept constantly at work in taking care of the
business that pours into the plant. This laundry is extremely careful in
the handling of laundry, and does no injury to the finest and most
expensive garments, and therefore patrons need have no fear of their
articles being returned torn, discolored or faded. It is the aim of the
Albemarle Laundry to make friends with its patrons and to insure their
permanent trade. The laundry possesses all the necessary appliances, and
there is no laundry in the United States that does better work. This
laundry has been in existence since 1901, and is a decided business
success. -Mr. Skinner is a native of Suffolk, Va., and is thorouhly [thoroughly] versed in every detail of the business.
The Citizens Bank.
H. C. BRIGHT, Jeweler, Diamonds, Watches, Cat Glass and Silverware, No. 14
S. Poindexter St.-This store has been established for the past five years,
and a has steadily forged ahead he its Fine stock, careful treatment of
the public, and splendid management. It is indeed one of the most
up-to-the-minute stores of the city, and presents a clean, wholesome,
fresh and inciting appearance, and everything in stock is of the moat
dependable character anti carefully selected. Mr. Bright is a native of
this city, and although a young man, can claim to have had an experience
of twenty-five years in the jewelry trade. His store is steadily growing
in importance and the volume of annual transactions increasing. Mr. Bright
wants at least a share of your trade, and is thoroughly clever and
conscientious in all of his dealings.
THE CITIZENS' BANK-OF ELIZABETH CITY, Established 1893. -It may be said
that no city in the south can boast of the possession of banking
institutions more solidly based, more capably managed, or more effectively
serviceable To the business world than are those of Elizabeth City; and
none of the banking institutions here am more notable for there
characteristics than the Citizens Bank. The bank was organized in 1399,
and has a record of steady growth, steadfast prosperity and enjoys the
fullest confidence of the community. The bank today has total resources of
over $400,000,00; and transacts a general banking business, paying 4 per
cent interest on savings accounts. The officials and directors are all
prominent men of affairs, and closely affiliated with the progress of the
city. They are Messrs. O. McMullan. President: W. C Glover,
vice-president. and M. R. Griffin. Cashier. Directors: O. McMullen. W. C.
Glover. M. N. Sawyer, - F. M. Grive. T. P. Nash. F. F. Spencer. E. M.
Deford and Noah Burfoot.
PARKER BROTHERS, Fancy Groceries and Fresh Meats, Hinton Building, Main
St.-This firm is composed of Messrs. I. B. Parker and N. P. Parker, who
established the business in October, 191. Both gentlemen are natives of
this city, well known and popular, and maintain an enviable standing in
commercial circles. They may be said to operate one of the handsomest and
finest grocery stores in North Carolina, and up to the present time have
enjoyed an enviable record of business prosperity. They have achieved a
reputation second to none for fair methods, and enjoy the full confidence
of their many patrons. The store is perfectly sanitary throughout, and
presents a very inviting appearance, and is admired by all. The Messrs.
Parker are gentlemen of long experience in this trade, and they make it a
point to study the special wants of their patrons, and are a big
assistance to the housekeeper in suggesting what to have for different
meals in order to keep up a pleasant variety.
D. WALTER HARRIS, the City Tailor and Promoter of Styles. -This gentleman
takes rank as an enterprising and leading merchant, whose integrity and
leadership in the trade have never been questioned. He has one of the
handsomest shops in the city, has been established for shout air years,
and located in the Hinton Building since February 1, 191. There is no
doubt of the fact that D. Walter Harris is the last name in any argument
as to who is who in the line of fine and fashionable tailoring houses.
This store is imposing and magnificent, and is stocked with a fashionable
line of suiting: seldom found outside of even the largest cities in the
country, and the patronage is among the best dressed gentlemen 'of the
community-. Mr. Harris is a young man, a native of this city, and known
for his influence, vaarcity [veracity], and
high standing in business and social circles.
H. C, Bright.
D. Walter Harris.
ALKRAMA THEATRE. -This handsome and magnificent playhouse operated by the
Kramer Amusement Ca., with Mr. D. K. Kramer as manager and his son, Mr. D.
Ray Kramer, assistant manager. The Alkrama is one of the most attractive
theatres in the State, is of perfect construction thoroughly ventilated
and equipped with a profusion of electric lights and fans, comfortable
seats, large stage and dressing rooms and has a seating capacity of eight
hundred. The theatre is now, being erected only two years ago, and is a
model in design and arrangement. Only the best attractions are shown, and
the theatre is usually crowded at every performance. The management
deserves credit for End, to the city such a fine institution of the kind,
furnishing clean, up-to-the-minute educational and innocent amusement.
J. F. KIRBY & WIFE, Groceries, Dry Goods, Tobacco, Cigars, etc.-This
business is located at 628 Parsonage St., at the corner of Skinner Ave.,
near the two big cotton and hosiery mills. The business has been
established for the past five years, and both Mr. and Mrs. Kirby extend
every courtesy to the trade, and have succeeded in consolidating quite an
important and growing business. They stave hard to please and satisfy each
and every customer, and they highly appreciate all orders, whether they be
large or small. They endeavor to handle the very best goods, and to sell
at extremely low prices.
W. H. WEATHERLY COMPANY, Candy Manufacturers and Wholesale Fancy Grocers.
-This enterprise is of a magnitude and character seldom seen outside of
the largest cities of the count, and at the same time its facilities are
more than ordinary complete. This business has been established for more
than twenty-five years, and the trade has steadily grown in volume. The
patronage in the wholesale grocery department is broadly distributed
throughout the entire Northeast section of North Carolina, while the trade
in candies covers nearly the whole of the State. The premises occupied
include an immense three-story building, 60 by 100 feet in dimensions,
fitted up with modern improvements throughout. The candy factory is one of
the most modem and sanitary in the State, and a number of experienced
candy makers are constantly employed turning out all kinds of-high grade
stick candies and penny specialties. The officers’ of the company are
Messrs. W. H. Weatherly, president and manager; A. S. Mann, vice-president
and treasurer, and W. H. Weatherly, Jr., secretary. This enterprise has
certainly, done its full share in attracting trade to this city.
W. H. Weathers CO.
P. DeLON, Bicycles and supplies, Phonographs, Records and Athletic Goods.
Special attention to Repairing. No. 124 N. Poindexter St.-The business has
now been established for the past twenty years, which makes it the oldest
enterprise of its kind in this city. Not only is it the oldest, but is
headquarters for the leading makes of bicycles and supplies, as well as
all kinds of athletic goods. This is the agency for Spaulding's goods,
which are recognized as the standard on the market. The repair department
is in charge of experienced workmen, and in every way this is one of the
most satisfactory enterprises in the city. Mr. P. DeLon, the proprietor,
is well known to the trade, and is personally very popular and well liked
SILVERTHORN - MORRISETTE CO., Dealers in Furniture, Stoves and Household
Goods,-This firm was organized early in January, 1915, and is making rapid
strides, so much so that it has become necessary to seek much larger
quarters, and to meet the demands the company has leased the extensive
premises now occupied by the grocery firm of D. R. Morgan Company, at the
comer of Water and Main Streets, and by the first of October, 1915, will
be in the new premises with a handsome and greatly diversified stock of
house hold goods of all kinds. These premises include a large brick
building 55 by 100 feet in dimensions. -The individual members of the firm
include Messrs. J. M. Silverthorn and M. G. Morrisette. Mr. Silverthorn is
a native of Hyde County, lived in Beaufort County for ten years and came
to Elizabeth City about two and a had years ago, while Mr. Morrisette was
born and reared in Elizabeth City. These gentlemen have a well-established
reputation for high standing and character.
Scenes at Nags Head.
WEEKS & SAWYER, Haberdashers and Tailors. -In the history of representative
houses no more worthy example can be found than that of Weeks & Sawyer,
established for the past five years. The proprietors are Messrs. J. M.
Weeks and N. C. Sawyer, who maintain an excellent standing in business and
social circles and are regarded as being absolutely fair and square in all
their dealings. They have one of the most magnificent stores in the city,
located in the very heart of the business district, 410 East Main Street.
Kramer Building. The name of Weeks & Sawyer has indeed become a household
word and their store is unquestionably the leading place "where the best
clothes come from." They carry an elegant stock purchased from the best
known manufacturer and keep fully abreast of the times as regards the
management of their affairs
ELIZABETH CITY COCA-COLA BOTTLING WORKS. -This business is incorporated and
has been operated under the present management for five years, the
capacity during this time having been greatly increased, which in itself
shows more than words can express the ability with which the business is
now managed. Mr. W. C. Dawson is the manager and Mr. A. F. Cathey is
president. There is no doubt of the fact that Coca-Cola is the most
popular drink on earth, and the products of this plant are shipped
throughout all of northeast North Carolina. They are also bottlers of all
kinds of carbonated beverages and do a very 'extensive business as
manufacturers of plain and fancy ice cream.
RAULS & RAPER, Suits Made to Measure, Cleaning, Pressing, Repairing and
Alterations, 131 N. Poindexter St., phone 305. -We cannot say too much
about the concern, for an inspection of the enterprise reveals the fact
that it is thoroughly sanitary in every respect and conducted in strict
accordance with the sanitary rules that govern businesses of this
character. The place is equipped with the latest type of the Hoffman Steam
Pressing Machine, and the work turned out is beautiful, being unsurpassed
for its high quality and general Excellence. Suits being treated in this
establishment are made to look almost like new. The businesses owned and
operated by Messrs. Chas. F. Rauls, who is a practical tailor of many
years’ experience and David S. Raper. These gentlemen have a high standing
and in the conduct of their business operate according to the best
approved modern methods.
W. I. BROTHERS, Dealer in Meats and Groceries. -We desire to make special
reference regarding this enterprise in this publication on this city. Mr.
W. I. Brothers is located at the corner of Shepard and Poindexter Streets,
where he conducts a good store and handles all kinds of meats and
groceries, fresh country vegetable, poultry, etc. Mr. Brothers has been
established in the business for ten years, and has succeeded in developing
quite a good trade. He has phone 101, and all orders are promptly
delivered. Mr. Brothers wants your trade and does all he can to give
utmost satisfaction. He is a thoroughly responsible business man and
R. KO CH, Baker. -This gentleman is located at 202 S. Road St., and has
been established in business here since 1886, which makes him the oldest
baker in Elizabeth City. He is not only the oldest established, but has a
larger experience than any other baker here, having commenced in the year
1866. He learned the trade in Germany of which country he is a native, and
came to America in 1881. Mr. Koch does both a wholesale and retail
business and has a wagon making deliveries to all parts of the city.
Orders by phone 276 receive prompt attention. Mr. Koch maintains a good
bake shop, it being well equipped and the products are absolutely pure and
ZOELLER'S STUDIO-Elizabeth City being a center of culture and refinement it
is natural to suppose that able exponents of high art photograph should be
found, and a visit to Zoeller's Studio is not at all disappointing. It is
one of the leading centers of photographic art in this State, and the
walls of the reception room are adorned with many specimen: of beautiful
and artistic pictures-the work of Mr. W. H. Zoeller, proprietor. This
studio is indeed one the points of interest in Elizabeth City, and a visit
to this city is not complete without including a tour of inspection to
"Zoeller's." Mr. Zoeller has made photography portraiture a life study,
and is today counted as one of the leading masters of the profession in
the South. Many of his productions are acknowledged to be real works of
merit, and not only has he photographed practically all the men, women and
children of this part of North Carolina, but he has been very enterprising
in making many artistic pictures of the beautiful scenery and points of
interest throughout Albemarle and Pamplico [Pamlico] Sounds, Dismal Swamp. Nags Head and other
W. J. HENDRICKS, Blacksmith and Wheelwright. Carts and Wagons Made to
Order.-This enterprise is located at 213 S. Road St., and although a
comparatively new business, having only been in existence since July 15,
1915, promises to be a much valued and appreciative concern. Mr. Hendricks
is making his influence greatly felt in the trade. He is a gentleman of
fifteen years practical experience, and came to Elizabeth City the early
part of this year. He was formerly located at Winfall, and was born and
reared in that community. He is prepared to do all work in his line to
entire satisfaction, and will appreciate the opportunity of quoting an
estimate on anything that you may want done.
R. C. ABBOTT, Forwarding Merchant and Dealer in Guano, Seed Potatoes, Seed
Peas and Truck Packages. - Mr. Abbot is operating a very important
business in this line of industry. He has been established for the past
three years, and has built up a large and growing trade. Mr. Abbott has
facilities of a large character and is prepared to handle orders of any
magnitude, procure the best in market prices and conclude the transactions
with entire satisfaction to all parties concerned. Mr. Abbott has been a
resident of this city for the past twenty-three years, and has at heart
the very best interest of the community.
E. L. SILVERTHORN. -Mr. Silverthorn is a dealer in all kinds of new and
antique furniture, stoves and ranges, picture frames made to order, also
has a special department devoted to the handling of guns and repairing,
which department is m charge of a man who is thoroughly experienced in
gunsmithing. Mr. Silverthorn carries quite a large stock of goods, and is
m the market to either buy, sell or exchange. He pays the highest market
prices for second-hand goods. The store is located at No. 8 Water Street,
and Mr. Silverthorn has been in this present business since January 1,
1915. He was formerly in partnership with his brother, Mr. Silverthorn is
a native of Hyde County, North Carolina, and came to Elizabeth City four
THE CITY DRUG STORE, Corner Water and Matthews Sts.-Elizabeth City is well
supplied as regards high class drug stores, and no city in the State can
boast of more capably managed institutions of this character. The
distinction of being the oldest established enterprise of this kind
belongs to The City Drug Store, the business having been founded some
thirty-five years ago. Mr. H. S. Overman, who has been connected with the
store since 1905, has been the active manager since 1908 and owns half
interest in the business. Mr. Overman is a native of this city and a
well-known young business man. He is also the president of the Apothecary
Shop, Inc., which is considered to be one of the handsomest drug stores in
THE APOTHECARY SHOP, Inc.-This high class pharmacy is located on one of the
most prominent corners in the heart of this city, in the Hinton Building.
It has been established and in successful operation since December, 1913.
There is no doubt of the fact that it is one of the handsomest pharmacies
in the State. The equipment includes tiled floor, high ceilings, electric
fans and lights, soda fountain, wall cabinets and show cases, and soda
grill. It is altogether a cool, restful place and maintains its popularity
because of the high quality of its stock. The members of the corporation
are Messrs. H. S. Overman, president; S G Etheridge, secretary and
treasurer. Mr. C. B. Morrisette is in charge of the prescription
department. Mr. Overman is also the manager of the City Drug Store.
AUTO AND GAS ENGINE WORKS, General Machine Shop, Automobile and Gas Engine
Work a Specialty, Distributors, Ford and Buick. Automobiles, Supplies,
Accessories and Tires., Office and Shop Water Street.-This enterprise has
been established for the past five years, and is owned by Messrs. W. P.
Skinner, W. G. Gaither, Jr., and Thos. J. Jones. These gentlemen are
thoroughly versed in all details of the industry and have certainly
exhibited wise judgment in becoming the agents and distributors for such
famous, popular and universal cars as the Ford and the wick. These cars
are too well known to require any elaboration. Many are in use throughout
this community and are giving entire satisfaction. The Auto and Gas
Engines Works is one of the largest concerns identified with this industry
in the eastern part of the State, and the proprietors are meeting with
fine success in the operation and conduct of the business.
M. P. GALLOP COMPANY: Wholesale and Retail Grocers 10, 12 and 14 Water St.-
In this special line of trade it might be said that a leading and
representative position is maintained by the house of M. P. Gallop
Company. The business has been established for a period of twenty years
the first of this December: 1915, the president and general manager being
Mr. M. P. Gallop. This house is in a position to cater very favorably to
the trade in both wholesale and retail departments. The premises including
store and warehouse are among the largest in the city, the stock carries
being very extensive, and as a result all orders whether they be large or
small, can be promptly filled. The business policy of this house is that
of liberality, fair dealing, square methods and a strictly honest
representation u every instance.
CITY MEAT MARKET, All Kinds of Veal, Pork, Poultry, Lamb, Game, etc., Fish
and Oysters in Season, No. 106 South Poindexter Street, phone 364. -The
handling of meats is one of the most particular kinds of business and to
make a success of it requires thorough experience and an expert knowledge
of how to select stock and to butcher same. Mr. Ed. Pappendick at the head
of this business, although a young man, is nevertheless thoroughly
experienced in every detail of the trade. He can carve stock to perfection
and market same with utmost satisfaction, strictly observing all the
recognized sanitary rules and regulations. This firm was organized about
two years ago. Mr. Pappendick is a young man and a native of this city.
KRAMER BROTHERS & COMPANY, Inc., Saw and Planing [planning] Mills, Manufacturers of Flooring, Ceiling,
Siding, Frames, Sash, Doors, Blinds, Moldings, rackets, Scroll and Turned
Work, Church Pews, &c., Dealers in builders, Hardware, Paints, Varnishes,
Stains, Colors, Brushes, &c. -This enterprise may be said to hold the
creditable distinction of being one of the most prominent and successfully
conducted businesses of the kind in Elizabeth City The business has been
established since 1872. The operations today have reached a large annual
volume. Constant employment is given to an average of some one hundred men
in the various departments, and the products of the company are largely
consumed throughout Elizabeth City, as well as Eastern -North Carolina and
CHAS. Davis & COMPANY, Dealers in Beef, Pork Veal, Mutton and Sausage,
Bacon of All Kinds, Poultry and Game in Season, No. 104 S. Poindexter St.,
phone No. 215.-Mr. Chas. Davis is at the head of this business, which has
been established for the past five years. This firm is operating a
perfectly clean market, and Mr. Davis is very enthusiastic over the
construction of the new City Market House, and believes that the new
market will be a great help in the advancement of the trade, and in giving
satisfaction to patrons, where everybody can come to one central point,
and make choice selections, purchasing from the firm with the best goods
to offer. Mr. Davis is not afraid of competition; he is very careful in
the purchase of his stock and endeavors to conduct the business on a high
plain with due retard and consideration for the trade.
C.W. STEVENS COMPANY, Inc., Wholesale Groceries, Tobacco and Drugs. -This
house has been established since 1903, and has throughout its career been
regarded as a very valuable acquisition to the wholesale trade
conveniences of the city. The house is indeed the center of very
advantageous sources of supply, and the patronage covers practically all
of Northeast North Carolina, a number of traveling representatives
visiting the trade throughout this section in the interests of the
company. The premises occupied include s very extensive buckling, located
at the foot of Main St. and having large wharf facilities. This company is
in a position to handle all orders whether they be large or small,
promptly and to entire satisfaction. The business is incorporated, and the
members of the company include Messrs. C. H. Brock, president; W. A.
Brock, secretary, and C. W. Stevens, treasurer and manager. This
enterprise is thoroughly reliable and successful, and fully merits the
appreciation and confidence of the trade.
EAGLE GROCERY. -This store is located at the corner of Poindexter and
Matthews Sts., and has for a long time been regarded as one of the leading
retail grocery stores of Elizabeth City. Mr. John H. Banks is the
proprietor, and has been established for the past ten years. Mr. Banks is
a native of North Carolina, and has been making Elizabeth City his home
since 1896. He has a clean store, and is regarded as the "home of good
things to eat." Mr. Banks is accommodating in all of his dealings, and
strives earnestly to give utmost satisfaction to each and every patron.
The stock carried is unsurpassed.
PAILIN MILLING COMPANY, Wholesale and Retail Bolted and Unbolted Meal,
hominy, Bran, Hay, Mixed Feed, Oats and Mill Feed. -This enterprise is
located on Water Street, and has office phone connection 220. -Mr. A.S.
Neal is the proprietor and general manager, and has been in active charge
for about three years. He is prominently known, having been a resident of
Elizabeth City for the past 35 years, and is a native of North Carolina.
The products which come from the Pailin Milling Company are of high
quality, unrivalled for freshness and uniformity, are in great demand and
find ready sale. There is utmost satisfaction in dealing with this
company, and the proprietor is pleasant, courteous and accommodating.
P. C. HARRIS, Grocer. -Mr. Harris has been established in business for two
years and is now conducting an excellent store located at the corner of
Second and Walnut Streets. Here is carried a good assortment of all kinds
of fancy and staple groceries, fresh country produce, poultry, eggs,
butter, vegetables and fruits in season, candies and other confectionery
goods, tobacco, cigars, sweet milk, etc. In fact, any and every thing that
is good to eat is found here, and at reasonable prices, too. Mr. Harris is
a native of this city.
L. B. TWIFORD, Grocer.-Mr. Twiford has had a number of years experience in
the grocery trade, and has been in business for himself since October 1,
1914, at which time he bought out and became the proprietor of The Road
Street Grocery Company, which is located at the corner of Road and Glade
Streets. A fine stock is carried, which includes all kinds of staple and
fancy groceries, fresh country produce, poultry and eggs All orders are
given prompt attention. Mr. Twiford is a young man and enjoys an excellent
standing in the community. He wants at least a share of your trade, and
strives hard to give utmost satisfaction.
MARKHAM & FEREBEE COMPANY, Dealers in Furniture and General Household
Goods. -This enterprise is to be found at the corner of Main and Water
Streets, and has office phone connection 294. The premises consist of a
large two-story building, which is fully stocked with a high grade line of
furniture and general household goods, stoves and ranges, refrigerators,
sewing machines, baby carriages, etc. The company has succeeded m
consolidating a very important business. The owners of the company are
Messrs. G. C. Markham and J. B. Ferebee Mr. Markham is a native of
Pasquotank County, and has been established in the furniture business for
the last sixteen years in Elizabeth City. Mr. Ferebee is a native of
Camden County, and has been residing in this city for the past
twenty-seven years, and the present firm of Markham & Ferebee Company has
been operating since 1912.
THE PENNSYLVANIA ELECTRIC SHOE REPAIRING COMPANY, Clarence Labruzzo,
Mgr.-This plant is located at 152 Poindexter St., having phone connection,
and it is one of the beat equipped concerns of its kind in Elizabeth City.
The manager, although a young man, is thoroughly experienced, having spent
the greater part of his life in this-trade. He came to Elizabeth City the
20th of March, 1915. The plant is equipped with all kinds of shoe making
and shoe repairing machinery, run by electricity. New shoes made to order.
Deformed shoes a specialty. The work is speedily executed to entire
satisfaction and at reasonable prices. This company also operates plants
in Newark, N J., and Philadelphia, Pa. Mr. Clarence Labruzzo is a clever
young business man, and extends every courtesy to the trade.
D. R. Munden.-Mr. Munden's business covers several distinct lines. He is a
manufacturer of awnings, sails, tents and flags, and his experience m this
business covers some twenty-two years. During the time he has been
established here he has executed much work in this line. About three years
ago Mr. Bounden engaged in the business of manufacturing ice creams. His
plant is of modern equipment, thoroughly sanitary, and all flavors are
made, which are sold at both wholesale and retail. Deliveries on Sunday
are made as late as 110 A. M. Another feature of his business is dealing
in fresh fish of all kinds, oysters and game in season. He is located at
148 N. Poindexter Street and has phone 810. Mr. Munden is a native of
MITCHELL'S DEPARTMENT STORE, O. F. Gilbert , Proprietor. -A visitor to
Eliza, both City is at once impressed with the metropolitan air of her
commercial establishments, and the magnificent stocks they display. Con
Conspicuous, as a leader in this line of business is the enterprise known
as "Mitchell's Department Store," of which Mr. Oliver F. Gilbert is the
proprietor. This store occupies a stately building, located in the very
heart of the city, corner Main and Poindexter Streets. It is 93 by 100
feet in dimensions. The store is modern in its equipment throughout, the
departments being conveniently arranged and the great stock includes dry
goods, clothing furnishing goods, shoes, floor coverings, draperies,
ladies' suits, millinery, and, in fact, everything usually handled by high
class department stores. This is regarded as one of the airiest, best
ventilated, delightful and conveniently arranged stores in the city. It is
constantly thronged with buyers, and according to season, from eighteen to
forty clerics are employed. Mr. Gilbert is one of the most active young
business men of the city, and thinks this community has a wonderful
A. F. TOXEY & Company, Wholesale Grocers, 10 and 12 Water St.-This
business has been established for the past seven years, and from its
inception the house has largely contributed its full share in attracting
that large trade, which, combined, is the pride of the city. The premises
include an immense two-story building at the above address, the dimensions
being 60 by 200 feet, extending through the block with a big wharf in the
rear. The stock carried is exceedingly large, consisting of all kinds of
high-grade groceries, confections, tobacco and cigars, crockery, tin-ware,
etc. In fact, anything required for the stock of the retail grocer,
cigarist, tobacconist, or confectioner, is supplied by the firm of A. F.
Toxey & Company. -Mr. A. F. Toxey, who is the general manager of the
business, is a gentleman of twenty-two years' experience in the trade, and
is thoroughly familiar with its every detail. The other members of the
firm include Messrs. R. B. Martain and R. M. Sawyer, who have charge of
the office and accounting departments.
MRS. M. HILL, Fine Millinery, No. 515 Main St.-Mrs. M. Hill has been
associated with the millinery business of this city for the past 28 years,
and is recognized as one of Elizabeth City's leading exponents in this
branch of commercial activity. Her parlors are visited with keen measure
during the millinery season, the stock containing a great variety of
milliner, and the latest fashionable novelties. Mrs. M. Hill personally
directs her business and has achieved notable success. She visits the
markets every season. Notwithstanding the fact that she handles
fashionable goods, her prices are very reasonable.
ANDERSON GROCERY COMPANY.
This enterprise is located at 612 Parsonage Street, and is the oldest
established business in this part of the city. Mr. L. W. Anderson is the
proprietor. He personally looks after the management of affairs and gives
employment to experienced clerks, who show every courtesy and attention to
the trade. A large stock of goods is carried, including all kinds of
general merchandise, such as dry goods, notions, ladies' and gents'
furnishings, staple and fancy groceries, teas and coffees, canned and
bottled goods, etc. The lowest prices prevail.
G. M. SPENCE. -Among the merchants of this city is Mr. G. DI. Spence, who
conducts a good store en Skinner Ave., about midway between the two big
cotton and hosiery nails. Mr. Spence, therefore, has succeeded in building
up an important business, having been established for about two years, and
is ell mown and popular. His store is clean, sanitary and well stocked
with dry goods and notions, staple and fancy groceries of all, kinds,
confections, fruits and other seasonable goods Mr. Spence is a native of
Dare County, and has resided in Elizabeth City for seven years.
THE PARIS DRY CLEANING COMPANY, E. A. Jones, Proprietor. -This enterprise
is located at 123 NT. Poindexter St. and the business is devoted to high
class dry cleaners of all kinds, hats cleaned and blocked rubber coats
cleaned, silks' and fine ladies' gowns a specialty. This plant has been
under the present ownership since May. 1915. Mr. E. A. Jones is a native
of Iowa City, Iowa, and has had fifteen years of practical experience in
the industry. He knows how a business of this kind should be conducted,
and is giving perfect satisfaction to the trade. He uses the Parisian
French methods in his work, and the moat delicate fabrics are cleaned and
restored to their original freshness under his skillful treatment. All
orders promptly executed. Phone No. 84.
ELIZABETH CITY BRICK COMPANY. They are manufacturers of all kinds of
building brick. The plant is of modern equipment, and is located on North
Road on the N. S. R., having phone connection 61. The officers of this
company are Messrs. L. C. Blades. President: L.W. Norman, vice-president,
and C. J. Ward secretary-treasurer and manager Mr. Ward is regarded as one
of the best brick men of the State, and erected this plant here
twenty-three years ago. This company also Purchased a similar plant in
Plymouth, N.C. about a year ago; which the company has greatly improved,
and both plants are running at large capacity, giving employment to a
number of workmen. The brick are of high grade and find ready, market.
C. W. WARD, Grocer. -Mr. Ward has been established in business for
something over three years, and is located at the corner of Road and
Walnut Streets, having store phone number 461 and residence phone number
61-2. Mr. Ward is a young man and a native of this city. H e enjoys a wide
acquaintance and has many friends. It is with a great degree of pleasure
to purchase goods at bus store. It is a clean, inviting and attractive
place and stocked with an unusual assortment of high grade fancy and
staple groceries and fresh country produce being a specialty.
GLOBE FISH COMPANY, Inc., Wholesale Fish. -This section of the South has
for a long time been famous and well known for its production of delicious
sea foods of all kinds, and engaged very extensively in the wholesale
handling of these delicacies is the Globe Fish Company, Inc. This company
was organized in May. 1911, and since that time the trade has largely
extended and grown, due to the able management of the business, and the
company is today regarded as operating the largest industry in this line
in this part of North Carolina. This company does an extensive shipping
business through ail parts of the United States, many shipments going to
numerous Northern and Western cities, as well as throughout the South to
important centers, even as far as Florida. This company gives employment
to more than one hundred fishermen and operates a number of large boats
including the Guide, the "Pompano." the "White Wing," the " Hattie Creef."
the "Robena," under the style known as The Wanchese Line. The business of
this company is under the management of Mr. A. S. Foreman, a gentleman of
more than twenty years experience, and may be said to have a comprehensive
apprehension with every detail of the industry. Mr. E. R. Daniels is
president and A. S. Daniels. Secretary and treasurer.
GEORGE E. PRITCHARD, Manufacturer and Seller of Pea Harvesters. -This is an
enterprise that is worthy of the full confidence and respect of the
community and the full patronage of all farmers where ever located There
is no doubt but that Pritchard's Pea Harvester is the finest on the market
and has completely revolutionized the pea harvesting industry. It was a
great brain that conceived the idea of such a machine, and as regards
actual tests alongside other makes, has shown that the Pritchard machine
saves 25 per cent. more peas per acre, and works best in heavy growth
vines. Mr. Pritchard was born and reared in Camden County, and came to
Elizabeth City about two years ago for the purpose of taking advantage of
the shipping facilities which are furnished at this point. Pritchard's Pea
Harvester sells for 3110, and is the latest improvement known to the
industry. The patent dates are April 196, 1910, and Nov. 17th, 1914.
MORRISETTE, BROS., Retail Fancy Grocers, Tobacco, Snuff sad Cigars; Bread,
Cakes and Vegetables, etc.-This store is located at the corner of Pearl
and Poindexter Sts., and has phone No. 122. The business was established
about four years ago, and has been a fine success from then down to the
present time. Although the business is conducted under the old firm name
of Morrisette Bros., the real proprietor is Mr. J. H. Morrisette, who, in
the conduct of affairs, is ably assisted by his son, young Mr. Lucien
Morrisette, chief clerk. These gentlemen are giving utmost satisfaction to
C. MADRIN, Practical Horseshoer. - This shop is located at 314 Matthews
St., and is perhaps the most popular and most prominent horseshoeing
establishment that is in this city. Mr. Madrin has been conducting the
business for the past 16 years, and is regarded as the leader in the trade
because of his knowledge of horseshoeing and the vast experience he has
acquired during the twenty-two years that he has followed the business. He
is skilled and accurate in his work, and does shoeing according to
scientific principles, faulty gaits being corrected through correct
E. K. SAWYER, Bicycles, Sundries and Repairing, 129 N. Poindexter St.-Mr.
Sawyer is a native of Camden County, where for a number of years he was
engaged in farming and building work, coming to Elizabeth City about two
years ago. He is naturally gifted as a mechanic, and turned his talents to
his present business about a year ago, at which time he started in the
above shop, and is meeting with good success. He has been doing far better
than he expected, and has every reason to be encouraged as to the future.
Mr. Sawyer is conscientious and executes all work carefully. He carries
quite an extensive stock of all leading makes of bicycles, as well as
sundries and supplies.
NOAH GARRETT, Builder of Wagons, Carts, etc., and General Repairing, corner
of Matthews and Martin Streets. -It may be said that Elizabeth City has a
number of highly skilled workmen in all departments of trade and a skilled
builder d wagons, carts, etc., is Mr. Noah Garrett, who also does quite a
good business in all kinds of general repairing. Mr. Garrett was born and
reared in Camden County, but commenced the business of learning his trade
in Elizabeth City 33 years ago. He returned to Camden County, where he
conducted a shop for some thirteen years, and came back to Elizabeth City
eighteen years ago. He has been operating business for himself for eight
years. Mr. Garrett is reliable in all of his dealings and. does excellent
work at reasonable prices.
MISS LINA P. GILBERT, Millinery, No. 617 Main Street. -A visit to this
splendid establishment will repay anyone, especially during the spring and
fall millinery seasons, when the store is stocked with a fine display of
all the latest fashions and designs in millinery. Miss Gilbert has been
established in this business for eight years, and as a skilled designer
and trimmer, she is regarded as an artist and a thorough master of the
business. She exhibits rare taste in the selection of her stock, and goes
to the market every season where she has an opportunity of seeing all the
latest styles and shows same here in Elizabeth City at reasonable prices.
T. B. LAMB, Grocer. -Located at the corner of Road and Bell Streets,
conducts a good store and carries a superior quality of all kinds of
groceries -and vegetables, fresh country produce, poultry and eggs, teas
and coffees, candies and confections, melons and fruits in season, tobacco
and cigars. In fact, everything that is good to eat can be had here. Mr.
Lamb has bad some fifteen years' experience in the business, and has been
conducting this store for two and one-half years. He has phone 166, and
gives prompt attention to the filling of orders.
DARE LUMBER COMPANY. - This is one of the biggest t enterprises of the
State and is devoted to the manufacture of all kinds of North Carolina
pine, cedar and
Gum. The business was organized in 1907. The plant covers an area of
thirty-six acres and employment is given to several hundred people. The
products of this plant are shipped chiefly to the markets of the North,
New York, Philadelphia and Baltimore; in fact, throughout the New England
States, as well as to other points. The officers of the company are Roscoe
Crary, president; T. B. Crary, vice-president; F. J. -Bayless, treasurer;
C. P. Brown, general manager, and C. P. Wales, woods superintendent, and
Jos. P. Greenleaf, sales manager
B. S. ARMSTRONG, Livery, Sale and Exchange Stables, 312 Matthew St, phone
138. -This gentleman occupies a new and modern brick building with a depth
of 200 feet, which makes the stables among the largest in the city. Mr.
Armstrong has been established for the last thirteen years, and has always
been a conspicuous leader in the trade. Mr. Armstrong is a native of the
city, and a well-known business man. He has built up an excellent
reputation, and a large trade, and his experience in managing this
business is such as to make him thoroughly competent to conduct it with
utmost satisfaction to himself as well as others. He provides the best
feed, and the best services, with the result that all animals in his
charge are kept in perfect condition.
R. E. QUINN & COMPANY, Furniture and House Furnishing Goods, 106 to 115
Poindexter St., phone 196.-Elizabeth City can boast of the largest
furniture house in Eastern North Carolina, that of R_ E. Quinn k Co.,
which has indeed become a household word. Two immense adjoining buildings
are occupied, each being two stories high, one of which is 100 by 100 feet
and the other 40 by 180 feet in dimensions. The stock carried is enormous,
and consists of all kinds of fine and medium grade furniture, carpets,
rugs, mattings, stoves and ranges, in fact, everything required to furnish
a home. The finest and most costly mansion can be tastefully furnished
from this great stock, as well as the humble cottage, and at prices and
terms that cannot be duplicated in this section. Mr. R. E. Quinn is at the
head 'of the business and general manager, while Mr. J. H. Wilkins and S.
W. Twiford are members of the firm and take a very active part, as
assistants and extend every courtesy and attention to the trade. This is a
high grade enterprise, of which the whole city is proud.
W. K. CARTER& SON, Undertakers and Funeral Directors. -Mr. W. K. Carter,
who is the owner of this business; has been established since 1875. Mr.
Carter was born and reared in this county, and is one of our best known
citizens, and has at heart the very best interests of both City and
County. Mr. Carter is a practical undertaker and of thorough experience,
and as the population of the community increases, his clientage has
continued to increase in volume. Prompt attention is given to all calls,
and he has telephone No. 154. He is well equipped for the business and has
fine hearses, both white and black, and carries a fine selection of
coffins and caskets, as well as all other necessary accessories to the
business. The location is at 303 and 305 S. Road St. Mr. Carter is also
equipped with a modern plant to do all kinds of repairing in wood and iron
works, also new pumps and pump repairs. Agent for the latest improved
Deering New Ideal Mowers and Binders, and repairs for same. He also
handles a very fine variety of tombstones of .all designs and sizes,
ranging in prices from $10.00 to $1,600.00.
WESCOTT & BLOMBERG, Merchan Tailors-The trade of merchant tailoring has
reached its highest degree of perfection in this firm, both members of
which have had a vast experience as tailors and are thoroughly expert in
the art of cutting and fitting garments, and in taking measurements. Mr.
Maurice Westcott bas been established in the business here for thirty
years, and is perhaps the best known practical merchant tailor in
Elizabeth City, and has perhaps turned out more garments for the best
dressers than any other tailor ever engaged in similar business in his
city. Mr. A. E. Blomberg is a practical tailor of many years' experience,
coming to this city and admitted as a partner with Mr. Wescott on the
first of July, 1915. They do all kinds of high grade tailoring, also
cleaning, pressing and repairing. Their shop is sanitary, and m entering
this place to get a suit it is with the full assurance of receiving
perfect tailoring and a faultless fit. The prevailing styles are closely
J. B. FLORA & COMPANY, Wholesale Grocers and Tobacconists and Dealers- in
Hay, Lime, Cement, Pats and Off, Buggies and Harness, Ammunition, Guns and
Rifles at Factory Prices. This big enterprise is located at the foot of
Main. St., and on the waterfront. The house is one of the most extensive
identified with the-wholesale trade here, and the patronage of the concern
is broadly distributed throughout all of Eastern North Carolina: .The
traveling representatives of the company cover fourteen counties. The
premises include an immense building and very extensive wharfage, and a
number of people are constantly employed in getting out orders and looking
after the interests of the trade in general. The business has been in
existence for upwards of forty years, and those in active charge of the
business at the present time are Messrs. J. B. Flora, Jr., and S. H.
Johnson. Our interested readers will find their benefit greatly advanced
in a connection with this old established and reliable firm.
DEANS, Confectioners and Luncheon, Manufacturers of Ice Cream, Ices, etc,
Hinton Building, Main St. -Among other distinctions Elizabeth City can
claim the possession of one of-the handsomest enterprises of this
character to be found anywhere in the whole South. Deans of Elizabeth City
has become a very famous place. The business has been established for
upwards of fifteen years, and has occupied its present quarters since the
5th of February, 1914. Mr. W. C. Twiddy, who has long been a-member of the
firm, is the active manager and is-conducting the business with ability
and success. He has a comprehensive familiarity with every detail of the
trade, and is conducting this business in a manner as to merit the full
attention and appreciation of the most fastidious trade. The large
business necessitates the employment of eight people in the various
departments. Upon entering the store we find a handsome soda fountain on
the right. On the left is the cigar department, while beyond the soda
fountain is the candy department and in the rear is the finely arranged
parlor for ice cream patrons. The fashionable cafe is located on the
mezzanine and only the best of everything is served.
SHARBER & WHITE HARDWARE COMPANY, Wholesale Hardware, Farm and Mill
Supplies. -This house has for many years been regarded as one of the
leading representatives of the wholesale trade of this city, while an
immense retail trade is also transacted. The company is incorporated and
has been operated under the present management for the last five years.
The officers are Messrs. F. M. Grice, president; F. M. Grice, Jr.,
vice-president, and D. D. Dudley, secretary and treasurer. An immense
three-story budding is occupied at 509,511 and 513 Main St., besides a
large warehouse on Water St., with wharf on the rear. This establishment
is thoroughly modern and up-to-date in its every character, and the
business is conducted according to the most advanced ideas. The members of
the company are prominent well-known men of affairs, are great believers
in the future prosperity of this city and do all they can for the good of
the community. The reputation and tanding of their house stands second to
none in the trade.
ALBEMARLE PHARMACY. -This Pharmacy, known as "the Prescription Store" and
headquarters for Nyall's Remedies and Nunnally's Candies. The location is
in the Southern Hotel Building, at the corner of Main and Road Streets. It
is one of the handsomest stores in the city and is finely equipped with
plate glass show cases, wall cabinets, modern prescription department and
magnificent soda fountain. The soda fountain is one of the very latest
designs, perfectly clean and sanitary, and presents an attractive
appearance. The watchword of this store is "absolute accuracy," and the
stock includes the purest of drugs and chemicals, toilet articles,
perfumes, sundries, &c. It is very liberally patronized by the best
classes. Phone orders given prompt attention and delivered to any part of
the city. Mr. F. G. Jacocks is the proprietor of the business and is
recognized as a pharmacist of ability.
McCABE & GRICE, Department Store, Wholesale and Retail.-Elizabeth City may
be said to possess many handsome stores in all lines of trade and beyond
the question of doubt one of the real leaders is that of McCabe & Grice.
This business has been established since 1890, and the members of the firm
include Messrs. J. T. McCabe, who was one of the original founders, and
'Mr. E. F. Spencer, who has been connected with the store for about six
years and a member of the firm since 1912. A magnificent building is
occupied at the corner of Main and Poindexter Streets, stocked with an
immense and valuable line of dry goods, clothing, furnishings, ladies'
ready to wear, and all goods usually found in a high class enterprise of
this character. The stock may be said at all times to embrace the very
latest novelties of the season. Employment is given to seventeen clerks.
The aim of this house has always been to satisfy each customer, and to
conduct business on the sure and lasting principles of equity. Messrs.
McCabe & Grice are leaders m the trade and eat believers in Elizabeth
ELIZABETH CITY COTTON MILLS.
The manufacturing interests of Elizabeth City are very extensive, and in
this connection we desire to call attention to the Elizabeth City Cotton
Mills, which is one of the largest and most important in this section, and
has been highly instrumental in helping to advertise the city as an
industrial center. The mills were established in 1897 and consist of a
large building of modern construction, where many skilled operatives are
employed in the manufacture of high grade yarns. The equipment of the
mills includes 11,600 spindles. The officers of the company are Messrs. C.
H. Robinson, president; J. G. Gregory, secretary-treasurer, and J. L.
|Citation:|| Elizabeth City: Rich in Natural Beauty, Unsurpassed in Location, Unlimited in Resources, Manufacturing, Lumbering, Trucking and Fishing Center. The C. E. Weaver Series. Richmond, Virginia, 1915.|
|Location:|| North Carolina Collection, Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858 USA|
|Call Number:||NoCar Oversize F 264 E4 E55 Display Catalog Record|