|Joyner Digital Library||Exhibits Home > Wright Brothers > Publications > Wright Memorial Special Edition|
"Citizens of Kitty Hawk Have Erected Their Own Personal Tribute to Brothers' Memory", The Daily Advance (Elizabeth City, N.C.), 18 November 1932
Text and Image(s) from
Citizens Of Kitty Hawk Have Erected Their Own Personal Tribute to Brothers'
One the site of the old Methodist Parsonage at Kitty Hawk there stands
today a shaft marking the spot where Wilbur Wright began the assembly of
the first experimental glider. This shaft was erected by the citizens of
When Wilbur Wright first arrived at Kitty Hawk he stopped for a few days as
the guest of Capt. and Mrs. W. J. Tate now of Coinjock. With the Tates he
stayed until his brother, Orville, arrived and the two established their
In those few days Wilbur began the assembly of the first glider building it
from plans he and his had formulated at Dayton. Mrs. Tate was of
assistance in the work as it was she who sewed on the sateen wing
In those days Capt. and Mrs. Tate were in charge of the post office at
Kitty Hawk and lived in old parsonage.
Years passed and the Wrights became famous and along with the fame that
came to them the world's eye was turned on Kitty Hawk. Under the
leadership of Capt. Tate the citizens of Kitty Hawk raised among
themselves a subscription to mark the spot on which the work of the gilder
On May 2,1928 the marker was unveiled with simple ceremonies. Capt. Tate
made a short talk on Recollections and Incidents of the Wright Brothers,
and a few visitors were invited to make informal brief talks.
The inscription on the marker reads:
ON THIS SPOT SEPTEMBER 17, 1900 WILBUR WRIGHT BEGAN THE ASSEMBLY OF THE
WRIGHT BROTHERS FIRST EXPERIMENTAL GLIDER WHICH LED TO MAN'S CONQUEST OF
Erected by Citizens of Kitty Hawk, N.C. 1928
The committee which directed the activities which led to the erection of
the shaft was composed of W. J. Tate chairman, E.W. Baum secretary, Z. F.
Perry treasurer and B.F. Perry.
Center for Digital Projects |
| Manuscripts and Rare Books |
North Carolina Collection
Page Updated 14 October 2004
© 2003-2004, J. Y. Joyner Library, East Carolina University