"The East Carolina Training School", The Times-Dispatch, 14 November 1909
Article printed in the Richmond, Virginia Times-Dispatch November 14, 1909 regarding the opening of the East Carolina Teachers Training School. This and other articles may be found in the records of Chancellor's Office, Record Group CH1050, Series 1, Scrapbook File,
1914-1965 in the University Archives.
Robert H. Wright Inaugurated as President of New State Institution
WELL EQUIPPED FOR PLACE
Well Known Educator of State.
Six Buildings Modernly Equipped
[Special to the Times-Dispatch]
GREENVILLE, N.C., November 13.-- After years of effort on the part of the
people of Eastern North Carolina a teachers' training school has been
established in this section, and this week Robert H. Wright was
inaugurated president of the East Carolina Teachers' Training School,
which has recently been completed here.
The Inaugural Exercises
"Six years ago there were no two-room public school houses in Pitt county,"
said county Superintendent W.H. Ragsdale at the inauguration exercises,
"and, although the county was organized 142 years ago, up until six years
ago the public school property of the county was valued at less than
$15,000; to-day the valuation, including the training school property, is
more than $300,000."
This, in one sentence, tells the wonderful progress Greenville and Pitt
County have made along educational lines. For the past six years leaders
in Pitt county and Eastern North Carolina, encouraged by good people,
whose hearts have yearned for better things for their boys and girls, have
striven to better the educational conditions, and how well they have
succeeded was attested to-day by the brilliant audience which assembled in
the splendid auditorium of the school to witness and take part in the
inaugural exercises. It was 11 o'clock when the trustees, college
presidents and other prominent educators marched in and took their seat on
the rostrum, which had been decorated with potted flowers, the college
colors, royal purple and old gold, over the centre of the stage being the
monogram designed by young David C. James, a Pitt county boy. A few
minutes later the whole student body marched in and took front seats.
The address of welcome on the part of Greenville was delivered by C.F.
Harding, and on the part of Pitt county by Colonel F.G. James. Greeting
from the faculty was brought by Superintendent W.H. Ragsdale.
Superintendent Joyner, as ex-official chairman of the board of trustees,
delivered the address of welcome on the part of that body.
Colonel J. Bryan Grimes, Secretary of State, was introduced as the
representative of Governor Kitchin, who could not be present on account of
sickness. Then followed the inaugural address by President Robert H.
Wright. His address was a scholarly one, and had to do with ideas that he
had for the school.
A Long, Hard Fight.
After the establishment of a training school in the western part of the
State the people of the eastern section woke up to the value of such an
institution, and a long fight was begun to induce the State Legislature to
provide for a school in that section of the State. It was not until 1907,
however, that the Legislature was won over, and a bill providing for the
school passed. Many localities were anxious for the school, but it was
Greenville and Pitt county that offered the greatest inducements. The city
and the county each voted a bond issue of $50,000, and Greenville was
selected as the location. Work was begun on the buildings last spring,
and to-day there are six buildings completed and fully equipped. There are
accommodations for 240 students. The faculty consists of college
graduates, who are experienced teachers. The school opened in October of
this year with bright prospects for a successful future. It was of this
school that Mr. Wright was inaugurated as president on Friday.
Sketch of President
Robert H. Wright was born in Sampson county, this State [Virginia], in
1870. He received his primary education in the public schools of this
county and at Oak Ridge Institute. After teaching school for a while, he
entered the University of North Carolina, graduating with high honors in
1894. He then continued his studies at Johns Hopkins University.
Afterwards he served as member of the faculty of the Baltimore City
College and as principal of the Eastern High School, of Baltimore.
Mr. Wright is not only a successful teacher, but is also a leader among the
educators of the State. He is a member of various historical and
educational associaitons of this State and Maryland. Under his guidance
the new school should be a great success.
|Citation:|| "The East Carolina Training School," Richmond, Virginia Times-Dispatch, Nov. 14, 1909.|
|Location:|| University Archives, Manuscripts and Rare Books, Joyner Library, East Carolina University, Greenville, NC 27858 USA|
|Call Number:||Chancellor's Office, Record Group CH1050, Series 1, Scrapbook File,