Bath Tricentennial Digital Exhibit
Read More About the Bath Tricentennial Digital Exhibit
The celebration of Bath's Tricentennial has an elephant in the room that no one is talking about. In truth, the colonial General
Assembly of North Carolina voted to incorporate Bath on March 8 of 1705/6—that is, 1705 by the dating method of the time,
when the new year for Great Britain and its colonies began on March 25th, but 1706 by our presenting method of marking dates.
In many ways, this flexibility of dates is much like the marking of Bath's colonial history over the past century. The town's
past is a mixture of fact and legend, both of which only in the past century have been celebrated and preserved.
Bath’s founders began with a great deal of hope. There was optimism not only among the three men who bought the land the town
sits on and became the its first commissioners—John Lawson, Joel Martin, and Simon Alderson. The town's settlers throughout
the eighteenth century were optimistic about its future. Unfortunately, Bath Creek never became the major port that these
early settlers hoped it would be, and by the end of the eighteenth century, the newer town of Washington, further up the Pamlico
River, had become the area's center of commerce.
The first century of Bath’s existence mixed the profane with the sacred. Among the town’s legendary residents was Edward Teach,
the pirate known as Blackbeard, who lived in Bath on and off during the year 1718. At the same time, Bath in its early days
was the location of North Carolina’s first public library, and St. Thomas Church, built between October of 1734 and May of
1735, is the oldest church in North Carolina. In 1739 and again in 1747, itinerant evangelist the Reverend George Whitefield
preached in Bath, and he passed through the town, though without preaching, in the 1760s. From these visits grew the legend
of Whitefield’s curse. The legend goes that Whitefield, disappointed with the results of his evangelization, rode away saying
that the Bible told that if somewhere the people won’t listen to the word of God, a preacher is to shake the dust of the town
off his feet and the town will be cursed. The eighteenth-century legend is one explanation of Bath’s failure to become a thriving
During the nineteenth century, many of Bath's historic structures fell into greater and greater states of disrepair. On the
one hand, people visiting the 1751 Palmer-Marsh house frequently recorded with amazement that its double chimney with windows
built in was seventeen-feet wide. On the other hand, sightseers to St. Thomas Episcopal Church took many of its decorative
floor tiles as souvenirs, and the church yard was overgrown. Unconsciously adding to the theme of decay, visitors often recorded
the epithets on graves found not only in the St. Thomas churchyard, but in family burial plots, such as that behind the Palmer-Marsh
Inadvertently, a 1905 calendar to commemorate Bath's 250th anniversary, recorded both Bath's history and its decline. The
few pictures of Bath itself showed a town whose day had passed; much of the rest of the calendar was filled with images of
Beaufort County's progress, almost all of which was portrayed as being in Washington. Perhaps in response to the calendar,
people began to talk about restoring old Bath. Progress was slow. A monument to Bath's colonial history was dedicated in 1924,
and by 1939, a new organization, the Bath Restoration Commission, had helped stabilize and repair St. Thomas Church. As this
work went on, at least one local resident decided to memorialize Bath in writing. Ada Satterthwaite Bragg published the pamphlet-sized
collection of poems Forget-Me-Nots of Bath, N. C. The poems are mostly based on area history and present Bath as a place of mixed religious goodness and sin.
However, the celebration of Bath's 250th anniversary in 1955 served as the impetus to begin serious work on historic preservation.
What is fascinating is how quickly the celebration came together. In May of 1955, the town of Bath began to look at how it
might celebrate its founding. In July, the State of North Carolina sent letters to various people inviting them to be members
of the Bath Commission in order to develop plans for the state’s participation in the town’s anniversary events. By early
October, just three months later, a major celebration took place, highlighted by the pageant Queen Anne’s Bell, with such dignitaries as Governor and Mrs. Luther Hodges, North Carolina Secretary of State William Blount Rodman, novelist
Inglis Fletcher, and Secretary of the North Carolina Historical Commission C. C. Crittenden all taking roles.
By 1958, the Beaufort County Historical Society had bought the Palmer-Marsh house with plans to restore the building. The
Beaufort County Historical Society had been formed in 1955 by Edmund H. Harding, who had also been the main organizer of the
1955 celebrations. In 1959, North Carolina established the Historic Bath Commission with Harding as its chair. The work of
the local and state groups was so successful that in 1962, the Palmer-Marsh and Bonner houses were open to the public. In
1963, the North Carolina General Assembly created the Historic Bath State Historic Site to be able to give continuing support
to restoring, interpreting, and maintaining colonial Bath.
As Bath’s 300th anniversary approached, the legends of Bath continued to be part of the town’s commemoration of its past.
The outdoor drama Blackbeard: Knight of the Black Flag, written and directed by Stuart Aaronson, was produced between 1977 and 1986. Plans are underway to revive the production
for this summer in honor of the tricentennial. As the town of Bath turns 300, it is interesting to see the types of celebrations
and commemorations that are planned and to think about what these say concerning Bath’s past how we continue to connect to