Bath Tricentennial - Bath 1955 and After
The 250th anniversary celebrations provided the momentum needed to push forward with the restoration of Bath’s historic properties.
The Beaufort County Historical Society, under the leadership of Edmund H. Harding, who had been the main organizer of events
for the 250th celebrations, raised enough money to buy the Palmer-Marsh house in 1958 and, in 1960, the Bonner house. The
group not only restored the houses, but worked with various people, such as the historical novelist Inglis Fletcher, to furnish
the houses with period pieces. Both houses were opened to the public in 1962. Bath’s interest in and use of its historic and
legendary past continued in 1977 when the outdoor drama Blackbeard: Knight of the Black Flag
opened, running until 1986. As Bath celebrates its 300th year, Blackbeard: Knight of the Black Flag
is scheduled to be produced again during the summer of 2005.