Date: 1900 - 1950 |
Identifier: Country Doctor Museum
The Renwal Porcelain Sterilizer was advertised as an inexpensive, small sterilizer that could be used quickly and easily. The base of the sterilizer is made from porcelain, and the lid is made from pressed metal. The sterilizer was meant to sterilize small instruments, hypodermic syringes, and hypodermic needles. It was particularly recommended for use by doctors who gave several injections in a row. To sterilize an instrument, a disinfectant or boiling water was first poured into the base of the sterilizer. The instrument was then placed inside the metal sifter and lowered using the handle on the sterilizer’s side. The sterilizer required 120 volts of electricity to heat the solution. This particular sterilizer was manufactured in Brooklyn, New York by the American Sundries Company during the early 20th century and was used at St. Barnabas Hospital in Portland, Maine. more...